LG U+ announces that South Korea will begin the full end of 2G networks, and will close its network in June

South Korean telecom provider LG U+ (LG Uplus) said on Friday that the company will terminate the provision of 2G services before the end of June this year, according to Yonhap News. This move would mark the full termination of the 2G network in South Korea. LG U+ said the corporation has applied to the government to end 2G business practices and will assess the precise time period for the termination of the operation.

image from trak.in

Prior to this, in July last year, SK Telecom, one of South Korea’s two other mobile providers, discontinued its 2G operation, and Korea Telecom (KT) closed its 2G network as early as 2012.

LG U+ said 2G networks were scarcely used for several years with the introduction of new networks, including 5G. The ageing of telecommunications infrastructure and the shortage of 2G-supporting terminal equipment have led to a drop in subscribers.

As of the end of November last year, LG U+ had 374,000 2G subscribers, just 2.5 percent of the operator’s 14.8 million users, according to data from the South Korean Ministry of ICT.

LG U+ said the company will concentrate on developing 5G services with the shutdown of the 2G sector. The company reportedly has 2,5 million 5G subscribers.

It is reported that South Korea first launched 2G mobile services in 1996.